Learning something like React takes time. For every excellent react resource that exists on the internet, there are several poorly written tutorials showing you how to make a todo list app. This ‘atlas’ serves as a guide for myself and others. It will probably be updated over time. Information found in the glossary of terms is largely indebted to the various resources mentioned here.
- The official React guide to main concepts
- React as a UI Runtime (Learning react from first principles)
- Create React App, A CLI and set of sensible defaults for react projects
- React devtools, Chrome and Firefox extension fo view react stuff along with dev tools
Glossary of Terms
- Treated as immutable by react
- Can reference valid DOM tags or user-created components
React components functions or instances of classes that receive props and return elements.
- Can be as simple as a js function that receives an object and returns and element
- Can also be a class that extends
- Components start with an uppercase char
- Must not mutate props
State is essentially a property on component classes that is accessible at
- Only mutate state using
setStatemerges properties shallowly
- state is local to a given component and uses a top-down data flow
- Mouting is when an element is rendered to the DOM for the first time
- Unmounting is when an element is removed from the DOM
Did you come across some excellent resources when learning React? Did you have a turning point where react suddenly ‘made sense’ to you? Let me know in the comments.